Innovation and Stuff

Since my college days I have been looking for some of the cool discoveries I have read or studied and have been sorely disappointed by the pace of progress. Do you share this opinion? So what is this blog about? This is an attempt to prove to myself through things that I have read or though my readers comments that some technical progress is being made in our country. So all innovative ideas in any area of science or industry are welcome.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Thinking this through...

I love the idea of an electric car and getting the crude oil monkey off my back but the electric car made by the amateur weekend mechanic is not going to work. After much deliberation and thought put into the idea of electric cars, I have come to the conclusion that the Pluggable EV or the hybrid is the way to go right now. Without a better range and very reliable batteries the need for a backup is an imperative. What I fear is straying a little outside of my normal range or going my normal range on a cold February day, and wearing out the batteries prematurely.

I feel we are at the mercy of the car manufacturers to really make this work. They can make hybrids that have the electric power plant engineered to fit the car. Plus they carry the purchasing clout to get a good deal on the latest battery technology that these autos are going to need. It seems to me the best course of action is to pressure them into making the kind of car we want or boycott them. It seems like we are starting to get through to some degree but there is still some distance to go before this technology is affordable to everyone. So next time, a review of what is available now, what has been announce, and what is out a short time in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home